Environment Agency position on Technical Competence extended until 1st July 2021 – 17th March 2021
Complying with Technical Competence schemes during Coronavirus (Covid-19) restrictions
Operators of permitted waste facilities relying on the CIWM/WAMITAB scheme to demonstrate Technical Competence are required to gain qualifications and pass assessments according to a timeframe set out in the scheme. Classroom-based training and test centres required for some of these have limited availability due to the implementation of social distancing measures.
We expect candidates to try to book the relevant training and assessments in advance of when they are due but recognise that, in some cases, this may not be possible. We will not regard the failure to complete and pass either:
- an Environmental Permit Operators Certificate (EPOC) within 4 weeks of permitted activities commencing, or
- a continuing competence assessment
as being a failure to comply with the WAMITAB/CIWM competence scheme until 1 July 2021 provided that:
- the EPOC or continuing competence assessment is not overdue by more than 6 months
- the candidate has made a booking for the earliest available date
- the operator has notified their local regulatory officer
- in the case of a continuing competence assessment, the operator has notified WAMITAB as well so that they can keep a database of affected candidates
Where these circumstances arise in connection with an application for a permit, the applicant must still provide evidence of registration/booking for the appropriate qualification and/or training within their application as usual.